Sunday, May 31, 2009

Taking the Plunge!

Well, it's been a long time coming, but I've finally ordered my first cloth diapers. :O)

I have asked and re-asked my friends countless questions regarding their cloth diapering experiences. Numerous websites have been subject to my near obsessive comparison shopping. I've budgeted and budgeted and BUDGETED and, at last, have come up with the money to get a decent size starter stash. Hippies and Earth, rejoice! ;-)

I went with bum genius 3.0 one size diapers in a 12 pack bundle and also purchased a wet bag for when we're out and about. With 2 kids still in diapers, the one size was the way to go. Being that I tend to reproduce children that stay around or under the 50th percentile, I may very well be able to use one size dipes up until they are potty trained. Plus, the BG dipes came with 2 inserts each as opposed to the other contender, Fuzzi Bunz, which only came with one. I opted not to get the diaper pail liner as, after much conversation with another cloth diaperer, I realized that I don't really want the diapers to dry out before I wash them. Instead, I am going to fill a plastic garbage can 3/4 full of a water and borax mixture to put the dirty dipes in until I wash them.

There are so many things to consider when starting out with cloth diapers that it's easy to get overwhelmed. Aside from the diapers themselves, there are tons of accessories to consider and new habits to form, i.e. possibly changing your laundry detergent, sanitizing the washing machine after washing the diapers, and considering clothesline diaper drying just to name a few. If it wasn't for my longsuffering cloth diapering friends, I would probably still be trying to make a decision! A big "Thank you!" is going out to those special ladies right about now. You know who you are. :-)

So now, I wait. I feel like I'm turning some kind of corner in my life as an environmentally responsible human being. Let's just hope I'm up to the task!

4 comments:

  1. Yeah for you & your babies bums!! I am so excited fo you, you are going to love cds. And btw, Sydnie still fits them with no problem and she is pushing 30 pounds and 2 1/2 yrs old and geting ready to potty train. I do have a few suggestions, if you are willing to listen...

    I think Bg recommends a dry pail method- not wet pail, which is more commonly used for prefold cloth style. I use a wet bag to store mine, but you could just put yours in the plastic garbage can dry- it's less messy that way too, not having to dump a can full of daipers and diaper water in your washer- and if wash everyother day like you are supposed to, your dipes won't dry out...mine are still soaked when I toss them in the washer. Second- I have just sent several back to cottonbabies to be replaced due to the laundry tabs not sticking/holding anymore after about 9 months of use-- they did replace them (thumbs up!) but recommended that I line dry the covers all the time. I was drying them in the dryer once a month or so, but usually just hang them on a wodden accordian drying rack to drip dry and then dry the liners in the dryer. Also, I have 2 other friends who use these and they dry the covers all the time and the velcro is getting really worn and curling up on the edges so it's not holding as well. FYI for future reference- you can get laundry tabs to replace if you need- they will mail them to you for free! From now on I will be hanging my covers all the time, better for the dipes and a smaller carbon footprint, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Getting back to the basics gives me such a sense of contentment. However, I will never give up my laptop or cell phone with texting :) What did you decide with regards to wipes? Let me know how the bum genius work out for you. The Fuzzi Bunz that I have are mediums and only go up to 30 lbs, so if I want to continue after that, I'll need to get a larger size. I think I will also be putting up a clothesline. Might as well use the wind and good weather God gives us to dry our diapers too! (our kids' diapers that is. But then again, maybe at 80 I will still be a devoted hippie and drying my own diapers on a line! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, ladies!

    The Jones' ~ Thanks for the tips. :O) I can always use them!

    Erin ~ I totally agree with you on the beautiful balance between the basics and technology. ("I still love technology. Always and forever." A little Napoleon Dynamite quote never hurts. :o) )However, I hope that if either of us are ever back in diapers, someone else will be doing the washing & drying; we will deserve the break!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin~ I forgot to address your wipes question: Yes, I am going to attempt this. I have not completely decided on how, but I did purchase some cheap washcloths for wipes today. I'll keep you posted on how it goes!

    Where do you get your EOs?

    ReplyDelete