Friday, August 17, 2012

All Martha'd out.

If I left the kitchen at all today, it was only to use the restroom or pick up a baby. Don't get me wrong, I love whipping up tasty food but I can barely keep my eyes open at this point.

Now you're probably expecting a lengthy list of holiday-type proportions but, alas, it was only 3 different items (6 if you count regular meals interspersed throughout the day). However, I did it all with 5 kids under the age of 7 running underfoot and a 6 month old puppy to take care of, so HA!!

But I digress. What I really wanted to tell you about tonight was the homemade cheez-its I tried from New Nostalgia . Holy snack crackers, Batman, these are fantastic!! Never mind that I couldn't keep a close enough eye on them near the end and I burnt some, or that I can't cut in a straight line to save my soul and ended up with wildly diverse trays of squares and rectangles.....they tasted just like the real thing, but better!

I don't know about you, but I have always found the originals to leave a bitter aftertaste in my mouth. Not that it kept me from eating half a box in one sitting, but it irked me some. I don't want to really think about what makes the bitter aftertaste, I just want to focus on the fact that mine didn't have it.

Here's a few tips you can take from me if you decide to bake some of these delightful little crackers:

  1. Watch that you don't forget the dough is chilling in the freezer while you save the puppy from choking to death on a sucker stick. I left it in there for an hour and then had to wait for some time for it to thaw enough to be roll-able.
  2. Don't worry about separating your squares out once you cut them, they shrink while baking. I'm sure this may be common knowledge, but I rarely take any one's word on anything, so I did one tray where I separated them and one where I didn't. The only difference I noticed was how much easier it was to leave them as they were. 
  3. The flatter you roll them, the crunchier they'll be. I did like them crunchy and chewy, as I had a range of both due to my lack of level rolling skills. However, the flatter they are, the more attention you have to pay to them near the end of their baking time as opposed to paying attention to why the 5 year old is screaming that the 19 month old accosted her with a baby drum (again!) and where in the world the 7 month old rolled off to. 

If I managed to get the bread I baked this morning to be how I like it, I'll post a link to that recipe as well. 

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go beat my head against a wall for messing up the homemade yogurt I've been waiting so long to make. Why should I remember the simple 3 part instructions after reading them only 27 times? This is why I always refer back to the recipe before I move on to the next step...well, almost always. Cheers!




No comments:

Post a Comment